Friday, March 13, 2009

A woman of strength.

On Monday my mother entered the hospital to have a full knee replacement. Unfortunately the OR got backed up and she was told at 5:00pm that they would admit her and have to do the surgery in the morning. What a complete let down. She hadn't eaten all day and was in a lot of pain because they had taken her off of her arthritis medication. They took her up to her room and She was finally able to have something to eat, and get some sleep. She was taken into surgery at 7:30am the next morning and was done in 2 hours.
My mother has always been the face of strength in our family, the peace keeper, the strong one! Seeing her laid up in a bed was not easy, but it only took minutes to realize that she hadn't lost her caring nature. She was already asking us if we'd eaten, she didn't want us to leave to late etc. The day after the surgery (wednesday) She got up and was walking! All the nurses and physical therapists were amazed at how well she was doing. Although she was sore and tired she kept a smile on her face and tried to do everything they told her to do. Thursday was a little tougher for her as was today, but although she has her moments as anyone would she has shown such strength to comethrough this as quickly as she has.
My mother is the most amazing, loving, sensative, selfless person I have ever known. She truly is an inspiration to me everyday of my life. I only hope to be as giving of myself as she is. So here's to you mom!!! I love and admire the person that you are! I can't wait for you to be home.

No comments: