Sunday, February 26, 2006

You Say Potato, I Say "Po-tah-toe"


Erica and I were having quite a heated discussion this morning over what to call the dish you see to the right.

Now I, like just about everyone else in America, calls it "Shepard's Pie." It has even been referred to by some as "Hamburger Casserole."

My wife, however, contends that the official name for this dish is "Hamburg, corn, and potatoes".

Now, there are two issues to deal with here. First of all, why would you call a dish by its ingredients? Do you refer to pizza as "crust, sauce, and cheese?" I don't think so. Neither does anyone else. Try to google the phrase. You won't find anyone calling it this way.

Ther second, and seemly more important issue, as that she claims hamburger should be called simply "hamburg," unless referring to the grilled burger. Again, I claim this is wrong. In fact, when I google "hamburg", I simply come up with references to either Hamburg, Germany, or Hamburg, NY, two places that lay some claim to the ground meat's origins.

Does anyone else see my point?

1 comment:

Boston Pam said...

Sorry Erica, but it is Shepards Pie for sure! I have never heard of that dish referred to as anything else....