Monday, November 10, 2008

The holidays are among us!

As I sit here sipping my hot cocoa with peppermint mocha creamer (limited holiday edition). I'm fighting the urge to put up all my Christmas decorations. I will admit that I have started listening to the Christmas music and have even downloaded a Christmas exercise mix to my ipod! I think back to this time last year and remember taking naps with Cameron on the couch while listening to Christmas music and now he doesn't even want to rock he just wants to be put in his crib to go to sleep. I'm not complaining I'm glad he's a good sleeper, it's just funny how time really flies! We really haven't begun our Christmas shopping. We have talked about what to get for people but haven't bought anything yet. Brian and I feel the same way about Christmas presents. We really feel like this is the time of year to really think about a person and give them something that they wouldn't expect or would really like. Don't get me wrong I like gift cards just as much as the next person but we like to try to get people a little something unexpected. Last year my favorite gift to give was to my sister. I found the book that my mother used to read to us every night and got it off ebay because it is no longer in print. I couldn't wait to give it to her and she was so surprised , It was something she never would have thought to get herself. I like giving gifts as much as I like getting them.
Although the holidays tend to be very busy and can get stressful I think it's important to remember what is important this time of year, It's not the number of gifts under the tree or how many Christmas cookies we made but it's about how many people we made smile, It's about waking up Christmas morning and counting the blessings we have. I am so thankful for my husband and two wonderful boys! I'm thankful for my parents, I'm thankfulfor the doctor who found my dad's blockages so he didn't have a heart attack. I'm thankful that I have a sister who is also my best friend and I am thankful for the numerous friends and family I have. So as we approach the holidays remind yourself what really matters and ask yourself..... What am I thankful for?

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I am thankful to have such a great family. Especially you Erica. You are my sister-in-law, but I have always thought of you as just my sister. You were a part of my life since I was a child; I grew up with you around. You are my sister, and thanks for always being there as a shoulder to cry on and as a person to talk and vent to. I know I can always count on you. Thanks for everything!