Sunday, April 29, 2007

Adventures in Fatherhood: Building a Swingset



A swingset can't be that hard to assemble, right? Wrong! This past weekend, Erica and I took advantage of a deal at Toys R Us and bought Brady a swingset. After bringing home all the boxes on the flatbed trailer, we quickly got all the pieces out of the box and spread out in our garage. Then, we started to look at the 40-step manual. Amazingly, none of the 10,000 wood pieces are marked. In the directions, it is referred to as the "front/back swing side support", or the "sandbox front". It is up to you to find the dimensions of that piece in the glossary, and then serach through all the wood until you find that very piece. Needless to say, it is a time-consuming rpocess. The result of our seven hours of work on Saturday can be seen in the picture, and we are only in the middle of step five. I included a picture of what it will look like when we are finished...thirty years from now. Oh the adventures of parenthood!

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

I can't wait to slide down the slide with Brady!

Boston Pam said...

Best way to prevent this is to not have a back yard! I don't evny you guys! Good Luck - think you can have it done by the 9th so David can try it out!

Brian said...

I thought youw ere coming over ont he ninth to help put it together!

Shanna said...

Mackenzie can't wait to play.. let us know when your working on it again and we'll come help!!!

Christina said...

This is exactly why I say: "Why do it yourself when you can pay someone else to do it for you?..."

Brian said...

Yes I know Christina, but I always say to Erica,
"Why pay someone to do something I could do if I had the time?" which is really another way of saying "I'm cheap!" :)

Hahah

Christina said...

I'm assuming then that you pump your own gas too to save a few dimes? Now THERE is something that I refuse to do!

Anyways, I'm glad you're documenting the swingset-building so that when Brady gets to be a testing teenager, you can guilt him by rolling out the computer and say "look at everything I've done for you..."

Princess B said...

That swing set looks awesome--Brady and new guy are lucky boys!!!

P.S. Make it strong enough to hold a 27 yr old female...

Brian said...

Christina, I didn't tell you what I did on the way to Mike's wedding.

I needed gas when we got to New Jersey, so I pulled up to a station and got out, starting to pump my gas. An attendent came over and told me he would take care of it. I said to him, "I didn't see a full-serve sign out front, sorry." What is with the NJ-folk, they can't pump their own gas??????

Christina said...

hahahahaha; No self-serve allowed is the ONLY thing Jersey's got going for itself. Oh, but state legislation lets them put all these 'fillers' in their gas; Jersey's got like the crappiest gas in the country. I'd expect no less from the Armpit of America...