Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Try Something New: GRILLED pizza


Yep, you too can use your outdoor gas grill to make pizza. I had heard of this being done, but now I am on a quest to perfect this pizza cooking method. I tried it tonight for the first time. My experiment produced an ok pizza, although it was a little burnt on the bottom. The following is my revised recipe (I'll put up any revisions after I test them).
1. Pre-grill prep: Start with a pizza dough (store bought is fine...Shaw's makes a great one). A baseball-sized dough ball, when stretched out, will yield a perfect personal-pizza size (and make it easy to flip). Brush both sized of the stretched-out dough with EVOO. Get all your toppings together, and take everything out to the grill.
2. Grill the dough: Start with a ripping-hot grill, but make sure you only light part of the grill. Put the dough down on the hot side of the grill. In a couple of minutes, the dough will be cooked enough for you to flip it. When you flip, place the dough ont he cold side of the grill. Now, add all of your toppings, cover, and let cook for about five minutes.
3. My favorite toppings always start with a simple red sauce, a four cheese blend (mozzarella, jack, parm, and romano), and oregano.
Enjoy!

No comments: