Monday, July 02, 2007

Home Improvements: Summer 2007


I'm taking my first week off during the summer since I was a junior in high school! Believe it or not, I have always managed to work every summer without time off: Market Basket (1 summer), Bake-N-Joy (2 summers), TD BankNorth (2 summers), and Cedardale (6 summers). At my new job at Sanborn, I get four weeks vacation time to use whenever, so I opted to take one complete week off this summer, and take several Fridays off to make for some nice long weekends.
Anyways, since Erica is now running a daycare at the house, we can't really go places, so I have decided to dedicate a couple days to two projects that have been on my to-do list since we bought the house. The first was to re-seal the driveway, which I have included a picture of below. I did this today, and it took six five-gallon buckets of sealer just to get the two coats. That was more than I expected, but the driveway needed it bad. Keeping the driveway sealed prevents water from getting into the pavement and deteriorating the driveway.
My other project, which will be much larger, is to refinish our deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, paint all the railings, and stain the decking with two coats of a dark weather-proofing stain. This will help keep the wood smooth and make it last longer. I included a picture of the back deck before, and the finished small front deck which I did today. I used a very dark stain on the floor which I think makes the whole thing pop. The back deck will take me quite a bit longer to do, especially since some of the railings need to be painted white for the first time, so they will need two coats of paint and a coat of primer. It is also about twenty-five times larger!
I guess I have my work cut out for me!










No comments: