Monday, December 24, 2007

My First Wedding, by Brady Stack




So, yesterday I went to my first wedding. Uncle Jay was getting married to Auntie Christina. It was a lot of fun. In the morning, I got dressed in my suit with Dada, then we drove to the church. It was my job to bring the rings down the aisle on a pillow. Then, I pretended to be John Madden during the ceremony and I offered my commentary of the entire thing. At the reception hall, I got to eat, dance, and drink juice from a glass. Santa even came through the hall and gave me candy!!!

Dada was the best man, so he had to give a speech before dinner. He surprised everyone by writing a poem. When it came time for him to speak, he put on a Patriots Santa Hat and then started to speak. Here is his poem:







‘Twas the night before Christmas Eve, when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung, by the chimney with care,
In hopes that Saint Nicholas, soon would be there.

Brady and Cameron were nestled, all snug in their beds,
While visions of the Wiggles, danced in their heads,
And Erica in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down, for a long winter’s nap.

When out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like Randy Moss,
Jumping up in the air, to catch a Tom Brady toss.

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow,
Gave the luster of midday to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But an ‘83 Lebarron with people in wedding gear.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in an instant it was my grandfather, Mick.
More rapid than the Air Force the courses they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

“Now Nicky! Now Steven! Now Derek, and Marky,
On Heather! On Amy! On Alyssa, and Kayleigh!
To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!”

As dry leaves that before the wild Nor’Easter fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the car full of wedding gifts, and Jason too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard at my door,
Some footsteps, some knocking, and then a loud roar.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
In the door my brother Jason came with a bound.

He was dressed in a tux, with accents of pink,
And although out of breath, he gave me a wink.
A bundle of invitations, he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes, how they twinkled. His dimples, how merry,
His cheeks were like roses, his nose, like a cherry!
His face was clean-shaven, his hear neatly cut,
His suit was just pressed, his shoes freshly buffed.

I said to my brother, “What brings you tonight?
You look like your off to your wedding, is that right?”
He glanced at his watch, and then turned his back,
“We moved the wedding date up, so I can go to Iraq!”

He spoke no more words, but went straight to his work,
He gave me my tuxedo, then turned with a jerk,
He got Brady dressed, then gave him the ring box,
And giving a nod, to the Lebarron we all walked.

We made it to St. Joe’s, without a moment to spare,
The guests had been seated, Christina’s limo was there,
But before we walked out to the alter that night,
I pulled him aside, to give him some advice:

“Marriage is a gift,” I began to explain,
“Its filled with surprises, its never the same,
Christina is lucky, to have someone like you,
Love and cherish her forever, after you tell her “I do.”

Jason turned to me and extended his hand,
He thanked me for caring, for being his best man.
Then he gathered his thoughts, and breathed a deep sigh,
And walked to the alter, to wait for his bride.

“Do you take Christina” the priest said to him,
“To have and to hold, as long as you live?”
He wasted no time coming up with his answer,
“I do now, tomorrow, always, and forever.”

They looked at each other, and then locked in a kiss.
While they walked down the aisle, I started to reminisce.
It seemed like just yesterday it was I getting wed,
I hope he’ll remember the things that I said.

Then they sprang to their limo, to their team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew, like the down of a thistle.
But I heard them exclaim, as they drove out of sight,
“Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!”

3 comments:

Princess B said...

Correction: Brady's FIRST wedding was ours!

Brian said...

Fair enough....:)

Princess B said...

P.S. Great job on the poem BTW.